Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December 1, 2014

Dear family,

Well it has been an exciting week with transfers!  On Tuesday I found out that I am going to be a zone leader.  At transfers on Wednesday I found out that I am one of the zone leaders in the Highland zone, which is the zone I was already in.  In the apartment complex we live in there are two companionships that live in the apartment on the first floor and two companionships that live in the apartment on the second floor.  So I was transferred from the first floor to the second floor.  My new address is the same except for the apartment number which is 2009.  As you can tell I was transferred really far.  The area I am in now is actually four wards.  We have two wards in the Highland East stake and one ward in the Highland West stake and we cover the singles ward.  If you remember the Highland East stake was the first stake I served in.  Now being in this area I have served in 6 of the 7 wards in that stake.  I'm actually really glad that I wasn't transferred too far because I already know a lot of the people.  I also know where everything is.  That will make it really nice.  Also my new companion is Elder Rich.  He is from southern California.  I believe around Huntington Beach.  He has been out for a while.  He only has two transfers left so he is getting close to the end of his mission.  I'm really excited to work with him!  It will be a lot of fun.  Also another new thing in this area is that we have a car.  I've never had a car on my mission so that will be a new experience.  I haven't driven yet and I'm a little nervous to because I haven't driven a car in a really long time.  I'm sure it will come back really easy.

The beginning of this week was interesting because we were trying to stop by all of the investigators and recent converts before I left.  It never really hit me that I was leaving, and it still hasn't since I didn't move very far.  We run into past investigators and recent converts occasionally at a fireside or something so I'm sure I will see all of them occasionally.  

On Thanksgiving we started our day by doing a service project at a turkey trot (5k) that one of our members was putting together.  It seems like we are helping at a lot of running events.  We had dinner with an awesome recent convert in my new area.  It is really cool to see recent converts get excited about the Gospel.  The recent convert's non member son and mother were there and we watched the Prophet of the Restoration during dinner.  Her mom said she is going to read the Book of Mormon.   This week we also started teaching a less active member in the singles ward the lessons.  He hasn't been to church in ten years and he wants to learn more.  We had a great lesson and he was asking some really great questions and taking notes.  We can tell he is excited to learn.  On Saturday we helped a less active recent convert put up Christmas lights. We also had dinner with a family that was baptized a little over a year ago and their non member parents were there.  The parents live in the ward and we hope to start teaching them.  It was interesting to go to the singles ward on Sunday.  I have never been to a singles ward before.  This area has some great things going on and some great potentials.  I'm really excited to work with all of them.

It has been a busy week and I'm excited for this next week.  I'm sending this email a little later in the day because we went mountain biking for a p day activity.  It was a lot of fun!  It was interesting to go into the mountains and see all the wild cacti.  There is a lot!

I'm so grateful to be on my mission!  The Christmas season is a great time to be a missionary.  We have been sharing the He is the Gift video with a lot of people this week.  Jesus Christ truly is the greatest gift that God has given us.  I'm so grateful for all the hope and peace that the Savior brings into our lives.  I know that because of him we are able to return to live with our Heavenly Father and be together as a family forever.  Thank you for all of your prayers.  I love you all so much!

Love,
Elder Joshua Gandy


No comments:

Post a Comment